The landscape of grocery delivery companies has changed quite a bit over the last few years, with once-popular services such as Chef’d and Terra’s Kitchen shutting their doors and traditional retailers such as Walmart entering the space.
But some of these services come at a premium, which can potentially put a strain on your budget. Keep reading to see what the current batch of online grocery delivery companies offer in terms of products, prices and convenience, so you can avoid making a costly mistake.
<div class="gallery-item"> <h2>1. Instacart</h2>For people who need their groceries immediately, Instacart is an excellent option. Serving all 50 states plus the District of Columbia, Instacart can deliver items in as little as one hour.
Unlike other online grocery delivery services, Instacart doesn’t ship your food from giant warehouses. Instead, it connects you with freelance personal shoppers who bring you groceries from your favorite supermarkets — including Whole Foods, Costco and Petco.
You can sign up for Instacart Express to save even more money if you use the service regularly. An Instacart Express subscription-based membership costs $99 per year, which breaks down to $8.25 per month, or it’s $9.99 per month if you pay monthly. The membership entitles you to free delivery on orders of $35 or more, even if you order from more than one store. You also get a discount on the 5% services fee, and there’s no extra charge for deliveries made during peak service hours.
- How much does Instacart cost? The delivery fee ranges from $3.99 to $7.99, depending on the size of your order and how quickly you want your delivery. The minimum order is $10.
</div> <div class="gallery-item"> <h2>Is Instacart Worth It?</h2>Instacart is an excellent value considering you can get groceries from multiple stores delivered the same day you order them.
- Who is Instacart best for? Here’s who should consider Instacart and who should take a pass:
- Instacart is best for customers who shop at multiple stores to find their favorite products.
- Customers who don’t need same-day service can save money on groceries by shopping elsewhere.
</div> <div class="gallery-item"> <h2>2. Amazon Fresh</h2>Amazon Fresh offers free delivery on all eligible orders over $35, and while Amazon Fresh used to be an extra $14.99 fee on top of the Prime annual fee, as of October 2019, that benefit is now free with Amazon Prime.
Amazon offers Fresh in select markets. Though membership for this service is pricey, the items themselves tend to be priced competitively, with great supermarket deals.
- How much does Amazon Fresh cost? Amazon Prime members pay an annual $119 Prime membership fee. Eligible two-hour deliveries of $35 ($50 in some areas) or more are free with a membership, but orders under $35 are charged a delivery fee.
</div> <div class="gallery-item"> <h2>Is Amazon Fresh Worth It?</h2>Some people might be deterred by the extra charge, but this price is actually not bad, considering the selection and convenience.
- Who is Amazon Fresh best for? Amazon Fresh isn’t the right choice for everyone.
- Amazon Prime subscribers not satisfied with Pantry product selection might find Amazon Fresh more to their liking.
- Limited delivery area means you’ll need to live in a participating market to take advantage of this service.
<div class="gallery-item"> <h2>3. Peapod</h2>Peapod is an online supermarket that offers thousands of different products, including prime meats and seafood, natural and organic groceries, fresh produce, locally sourced specialty items and alcoholic beverages, plus meal kits with measured and chopped ingredients. Enter your ZIP code on the <a rel="noopener noreferrer" href="https://www.peapod.com/" target="_blank">Peapod homepage</a> to find out if it delivers in your area.
- How much does Peapod cost? For orders greater than $100, the delivery fee is $6.95. Orders under $100 have a fee of $7.95 to $9.95. The minimum order allowed is $30. You might also have to pay sales tax, and some deliveries incur a separate fuel surcharge.